What is the best egg white protein powder for packing on healthy lean muscle mass? To answer this question in an educated sense, we must discuss the awesome benefits of egg white protein powder, as well as some potentially dangerous and totally unnecessary ingredients/chemicals to avoid when choosing egg protein powder.
Egg white protein powder is an excellent option in addition to whey and casein protein supplements, or as a substitute for people who have milk allergies or lactose intolerance….
If you are already aware of the benefits of egg white protein powder, or are not interested in learning more about what ingredients to avoid, please click on the button below to skip down to our best egg white protein powder review. Otherwise, we welcome you to read on to learn more about the incredible, edible egg!
Benefits of Egg White Protein Powder
Some of the benefits of egg white protein powder are:
- Super High Protein Content per Serving – One egg white contains approximately 3 grams of protein. One scoop of egg white protein powder can contain anywhere from 25-32+ grams of protein. This means you would have to consume between 8-10+ individual egg whites to equal one serving of egg protein powder. In this regard, egg white protein powder is a much more cost effective option than buying a dozen eggs (or more) each day.
Complete Amino Acid Profile – Egg white are complete proteins. This means they contain all 10 essential amino acids our bodies do not make and therefore, we can only get from the foods we consume. In comparison, vegetable-based proteins like brown rice and pea (by themselves) are not complete proteins.
Compliments Protein Synthesis – Egg white protein is a medium digestion protein. Whey protein is fast digesting, and casein protein is slow digesting. One of the main benefits of egg white protein powder in a blended post-workout or meal replacement shake is that it keeps muscle protein synthesis going once the 3 main types of whey protein have passed through the body…. and up through the time when casein protein begins to work.
Low Fat to High Protein Ratio – Whole eggs are fantastic for bumping up your protein intake for breakfast or throughout the day. However, they are also fairly high in fat and cholesterol. For some of us, that is not an issue, but for people who are watching fat and cholesterol intake, egg whites contain next to none of either. Most fat and cholesterol is contained in the egg yolk.
Of course, eggs got a bad rap for many years due to their high cholesterol content. However, recent studies are showing egg yolks actually have very little effect on blood cholesterol in people without genetic predisposition to high cholesterol. Instead, cholesterol levels are mainly determined by our genetics, as well as the amount of saturated and trans-saturated fats in our diets. Even then though, one egg contains approximately 5 total grams of fat and 6 grams of protein. One of the benefits of egg white protein is that we do not need to eat 4-5 whole eggs at once (20-25 grams of total fat) to get the same amount of protein as from one serving of protein powder.
All Natural Egg White Protein Powder
A large part of discussing what is the best egg white protein powder entails discussing what should and should not be in the protein powder you choose. All of the egg white protein powders we are reviewing here have one major thing in common: They all contain only natural ingredients. An all natural egg white protein powder will never contain cheap fillers, artificial colors or chemical induced sweeteners of any kind.
The label above, which comes from a tub of Banana Blast flavored Healthy N Fit egg protein, perfectly illustrates what an all natural egg white protein powder should contain. As you can see, it only contains 6 ingredients, all of which are natural or naturally occurring.
You do not see any artificial sweeteners like sucralose or acesulfame, (modified) sugar alcohols like xylitol and sorbitol, food coloring, or anything else that masks inferior quality protein and could even potentially weaken its effect on and in our bodies.
Even though some of these chemicals have not yet been proven to cause and/or exacerbate ailments or conditions, the ever-growing body of available research indicates the potential for an increase in tooth decay, gastrointestinal distress, metabolic and blood sugar disruption, and even behavioral issues in adults and children. Some chemicals, like food dyes including Yellow 5 & 6 and Red 40, have even been linked to cancer.
At Protein Powder Review, we refuse to put our bodies at risk by ingesting these chemicals, nor do we believe they are they necessary to enhance the flavor, appearance or effectiveness of sports nutrition supplements in any way whatsoever. We commit ourselves to only all natural egg white protein powder, instead of giving any press to products that potentially place us (and you) at risk of short of long term health issues…. which is totally counterproductive for anyone attempting to live a life of fitness and wellness inside and out.
Now that we have established what constitutes a healthy, high quality all natural egg white protein powder, let’s jump into our best egg white protein powder review! I have personally tested the following list of all natural egg white protein powder options, and I am excited to share what I learned with you. Please read on to learn more….
Best Egg White Protein Powder Review
1. Healthy N Fit Egg Protein
Let’s begin the best egg white protein powder review by introducing the original manufacturers of egg white protein powder, Healthy N Fit. For over 30 years, Healthy N Fit has led the competition in Highest Protein Efficiency Ratio (P.E.R) of 3.9 or greater, and Net Protein Utilization (N.P.U) of 94%…. both of which rate how effectively the human body can utilize a protein. Some important specs for Healthy N Fit brand protein are:
- No more than 6 all natural ingredients, 2 of which are naturally occurring in the egg whites themselves
- Eggs sourced only from hormone free chickens
- Contains natural enzymes Papain and Bromelain to aid digestive efficiency
- Sugar free with no artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners
- 24 grams of protein per serving (3/4 of a scoop) and 32 grams of protein per full scoop
- Comes in 12 oz, 2 and 4 pound sizes (not all flavors available in all sizes)\
- Vanilla Ice Cream. Heavenly Chocolate, Banana Blast, Strawberry Passion and Natural Unflavored
- Mixes nicely in water or milk with thick consistency and natural, sweet taste
2. MRM All Natural Egg White Protein
MRM is a company committed to healthy alternative healthcare products for people of all ages, activity levels and lifestyles. MRM natural egg white protein powder has a very high biological value resulting from sulfur containing proteins and amino acids that the human body uses to facilitate muscular development and maintenance. Some important specs for MRM Natural Egg White Protein are:
- 8 all natural ingredients
- Instantized egg whites for superior digestion aided by MRMs natural Digest-All complex
- Sugar free with artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners
- 23 grams of protein per serving
- Comes in 12 oz (.75 pound) and 24 oz (1.5 pound) sizes
- Chocolate and Vanilla flavors
- Thicker consistency, mixes nicely in water or milk with natural, slightly sweet taste
3. Designer Protein Totally Egg
Designer Protein is a brand many people might overlook at first. It is not as well known as some of the more established brands in the sports nutrition industry. But despite its low profile, the Designer Protein Totally Egg can hang with the big boys. This protein is a bit different than our best egg white protein powder review products because it also contains yolk protein for a total equivalent of 3 whole eggs per serving. However, it contains 50% fewer calories, 93% less fat and 98% less cholesterol than eating those 3 whole eggs in their natural form. Because of this, we feel Designer Protein Totally Egg should be on this list. Some important specs for Designer Protein Totally Egg powder are:
- 6 all natural ingredients
- No saturated fat and only 10 milligrams of cholesterol per serving (3% DRV)
- No growth hormones, sugars, artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors or preservatives
- 24 grams of protein per serving
- Comes in a 12.4 ounce resealable pouch
- Classic Vanilla and Dutch Chocolate flavors
- Thin consistency, mixes better in blender than shaker, and has a very sweet taste
4. Julian Bakery Egg White Protein Powder
Julian Bakery is a relative newcomer to the sports nutrition industry. However, their commitment to all natural ingredients and just overall high quality products has positioned them to succeed in stunning fashion. Of all our best egg protein powder review brands, Julian Bakery Paleo Protein Egg White Powder comes in the most unique flavors. It is also paleo diet and “keto” friendly, for people who are into those trends. Some important specs for Julian Bakery Egg White Protein Powder are:
- No more than 6 all natural ingredients
- Very low (1 gram or less) sugar and no artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners or preservatives
- 21 grams of protein per serving
- Comes in a 2 pound resealable bag
- Glazed Donut, Chocolate, Vanilla, Espresso, Coconut Cream, Blueberry, Cinnamon Roll, Pumpkin Pie and Unflavored flavors (also offers an unflavored egg and yolk protein powder)
- Medium consistency, mixed well in water or milk (blender is better), may clump during storage, very sweet taste
5. Naked Nutrition Egg White Protein
We could not conclude our best egg white protein powder review without giving a shout out to Naked Nutrition. Whey they say “Nutrition With Nothing to Hide” they are not lying. Of all the products we have reviewed, Naked Nutrition contains the fewest ingredients. It is also the only egg protein powder that explicitly advertises eggs from Non-GMO sources. Some important specs for Naked Nutrition Egg White Protein are:
- No more than 4 all natural ingredients (with only 2 in the unflavored mix)
- Low sugar with organic coconut sweetener base
- 25 grams of protein per serving
- Comes in a 3 pound size
- Chocolate, Vanilla or Unflavored flavors
- Mixes well in water, milk or blender, not gritty and flavored is mildly sweet but not overpowering
I have used all five products personally, and I prefer (in order):
- Healthy N Fit – Specifically, I am totally nuts for the Banana Blast flavor and, in general, I am usually a pretty simple vanilla or chocolate kind of guy. There is just something about the fact they have been successful for so long. I also love that one full scoop is over 30 grams of high quality protein. HNF was a staple of my supplementation during my competitive bodybuilding years, and I appreciate the nostalgia as much as the great quality. Buy Healthy N Fit Egg Protein Powder Here!
- Naked Nutrition – Honestly, I think Naked Nutrition is tied with Healthy N Fit for the #1 spot on my list. There is something so simple and pure about their product. It has a natural taste, which I enjoy, and I love the fact the protein comes from Non-GMO stock. So let’s call Naked 1b and Healthy N Fit 1a! Buy Naked Nutrition Egg White Protein Powder Here!
- Julian Bakery – I am not usually one for the kind of flavors and sweetness Julian Bakery offers. However, you have not really lived until you have tried Glazed Donut flavored protein! The best part is that it does not contain the artificial sweeteners generally associated with such a rich flavor profile. The sweetness means it is not my everyday protein like Healthy N Fit or Naked, but it is definitely worth keeping around as a periodic treat, and is just an overall high quality brand. If I could change one thing, it would be to add a few more grams of protein to each serving. Buy Julian Bakery Paleo Protein Egg White Protein Powder Here!
- MRM Natural – MRM makes a good quality egg protein. Nothing about this product stands out from the other products to me in particular, which is why I rank it #4. It also has the most ingredients, but that does not make it bad. I just prefer fewer ingredients but I will say the ones it does have are of good quality. The slightly sweet taste is pleasant, but again it does not jump out and grab me like Glazed Donut or Banana Blast does. Just something about exotic egg protein flavors I guess. Buy MRM Natural Egg White Protein Powder Here!
- Designer Protein – The Totally Egg Protein Powder has some positive things going for it. First, it is white and yolk which increases the nutrient and amino acid profile over straight egg white powder. What gets me most is the small packaging. I like to buy larger amounts because a) I find them to be a better value for my money and b) I do not want to have to continually restock all the time. But if you do not burn through egg protein like I do, the size of this bag will not be a problem. Also, this product is just too sweet for my taste. However, taste is subjective of course and if you like sweetness, then this might be the best option for your taste buds. Buy Designer Protein Totally Egg Powder Here!
Try these products out for yourself and then drop us a line telling us what you think! If you have any questions about these products, or would like us to review another kind of natural egg white protein powder…. or if you would like to get more information from us about what is the best egg white protein powder for lean muscle gain, we welcome you to contact us directly!