Best Micellar Casein Protein Powder
What is the best micellar casein protein powder for building muscle? Micellar casein protein is a fantastic way to pack on lean muscle mass, and that is just one of its potential benefits to those of us striving to look great on the outside while feeling great on the inside!
When asking the question “what is the best micellar casein protein powder?” we must address the issue that not all protein powders are created equal. To make sure we choose the best micellar casein protein powder for building muscle, let’s first discuss its benefits, then the importance of choosing a high quality, all natural casein protein powder over the many run-of-the-mill products out there.
If you are already familiar with the facts and considerations that support choosing a natural casein protein powder for quality lean muscle gain, please skip directly to our micellar casein review. If you would like to learn more about what is the best micellar casein for building muscle before making your choice, we welcome you to read on!
Casein Protein Powder Benefits
There are many casein protein powder benefits. Some of the most important ones are:
- Casein is a slow digesting protein. Unlike whey protein (fast acting) and egg protein (medium acting) casein protein is slow digesting. Since your body takes longest to process it, it stays in your system building muscle for the longest time as well. Generally, natural casein protein powder remains active in the muscle building process for around 3 hours.
- Casein is a complete protein. This means casein protein contains all 10 essential amino acids our bodies require for muscle growth. Compared to non-animal proteins like rice and pea, one serving of casein provides your body with all the aminos it needs to facilitate effective lean muscle gain.
- Casein protein powder benefits for health. The National Institute of Health (NIH) has studied the health effects of casein on the human body. The NIH found that casein protein powder benefits include antibacterial and immunity boosting, a reduction in triglyceride levels, reduction in free radicals (i.e. potential cancer causing cells), and accelerated fat loss.
Directions: To reap casein protein powder benefits most effectively, include casein in meal replacement shakes along with a faster acting protein like whey, as well as a medium acting protein like egg. This allows your body to receive nutrients quickly, and keep it fed for several hours. Many of us also choose to take casein protein powder in the evening, along with a medium digesting egg white protein powder. This allows our bodies to stay fueled after we fall asleep, which reduces catabolism, or the state where our body pulls at our muscle reserves to feed itself.
Before we move onto our micellar casein review, let’s take a moment to discuss why choosing an all natural casein protein powder is the wisest decision you can make for your body inside and out alike….
All Natural Casein Protein Powder
As with every other product we review, the staff at Protein Powder Review is committed to providing you with the supplements that not only help you get results on the outside, but also that keep your body healthy on the inside.
The best all natural casein protein powder should be just that: All Natural. There is no need to fillers or anything artificial including colors, flavors or sweeteners. These ingredients do not add anything to the value of the product, nor do they enhance your physique in any way, shape or form. Some of the chemicals to avoid include:
The label above is from a tub of all natural casein protein powder. Notice how it only contains 4 ingredients, one of which is the protein source itself. The other 3 are natural or naturally derived without chemical/synthetic processing. This is a great example of an all natural casein protein powder supplement with nothing to hide.
If you want to know first hand what is the best micellar casein protein powder for building muscle, then know it does not take anymore than these types of high quality, natural ingredients to help you reach your goals.
Now that we have gotten the research out of the way, let’s get to our micellar casein review!
Micellar Casein Review
1. Muscle Feast Micellar Casein Protein Powder
Muscle Feast is an American company that sells high quality casein protein powder free of artificial chemicals and synthetic additives. Unlike some brands that inflate the cost of their products to cover enormous sponsorship deals with professional athletes, Muscle Feast intentionally keeps their costs low. This allows for a high quality product that is as healthy as it is tasty and, most importantly, will hep facilitate muscle growth for hours with each serving. Important specs for the Muscle Feast casein protein powder are:
- Only 4 ingredients, 1 of which is the casein itself
- Sourced from Non-GMO, grass-fed cows
- 19 grams of protein per serving
- World Anti-Doping Agency approved for purity and quality
- Vanilla, Chocolate, Cappuccino and Unflavored options (only 2 ingredients in Unflavored)
- Available in 2 and 4 pound sizes
- Stevia sweetened for a smooth, natural taste
- Mixes nicely in water or milk with a few potential chunks and no chalkiness
2. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural Casein
Most people who know supplements have seen or tried Optimum Nutrition. ON is one of the oldest and most well known supplement companies in the world. The Optimum Nutrition Natural Gold Standard casein powder is helping bring all natural micellar casein to the masses. Important specs for Optimum Nutrition casein protein are:
- 8 ingredients, one of which is the casein itself
- 24 grams of protein per serving
- French Vanilla and Chocolate Creme options
- Available in 2 and 4 pound sizes
- Sweetened with Stevia and natural sugar for a smooth, natural taste (slightly sweeter than Muscle Feast)
- Mixes nicely in water or milk with a few potential chunks no chalkiness
3. Naked Nutrition Casein Protein Powder
Naked Nutrition is amazing! When they say “Nutrition With Nothing to Hide” they are not lying. Naked Nutrition specializes in all natural protein supplements sourced from high quality domestic outlets. It is also the only casein protein powder that explicitly advertises eggs from Non-GMO sources. Some important specs for Naked Nutrition casein protein are:
- No more than 3 all natural ingredients (with only 1 in the unflavored option)
- Low sugar with organic coconut sweetener base
- 27 grams of protein per serving
- Comes in a 5 pound size
- Chocolate, Vanilla or Unflavored flavors
- Mixes well in water or milk, very little clumping and flavor is natural yet mildly sweet
4. Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein Protein Powder
Ascent Supplements were designed with athletes in mind. Their products are formulated from only real food ingredients, which means they are free from all artificial/synthetic chemicals, and are specially formulated specifically to optimize all around athletic performance. Some important specs for Ascent Native Fuel micellar casein protein are:
- No more than 8 ingredients, 1 of which is the casein itself
- Sweetened with natural flavors including monk fruit and/or stevia
- 25 grams of protein per serving
- Comes in 2 or 4 pound sizes
- Chocolate, Vanilla or Chocolate Peanut Butter flavors
- Mixes well in water or milk, thick consistency and a bit of potential chunkiness
I have used all four products personally, and I prefer (in order):
- Muscle Feast – I will say right off the bat that I have a first place tie between Muscle Feast and Naked Nutrition. So call this 1a. I appreciate Muscle Feast’s natural taste and texture, as well as the fact it is Anti-Doping Agency compliant for purity. I also absolutely love the fact it is hormone and antibiotic free, and that (like Naked Nutrition) it has minimal ingredients. What gives MF the oh-so slight edge over Naked is that it does not have any sugar whatsoever. The only thing I do not prefer is that it is lower in protein per serving than Naked. Buy Muscle Feast Natural Micellar Casein Protein Powder Here.
- Naked Nutrition – Naked Nutrition casein protein powder is the definition of minimalism, and its purity is refreshing but also very effective. Like the MF casein, I love that it is all natural, sourced from hormone free, grass-fed cows and that its ingredients are so simple. I like that it has more protein per serving than Muscle Feast, and If it did not have the coconut sugar, which I am not a huge fan of personally, I would probably switch it and MF. Buy Naked Nutrition Natural Casein Protein Powder Here.
- Ascent Native Fuel – I am going to rank Ascent Native fuel casein slightly ahead of Optimum Nutrition simply because it has one more gram of protein I wish Ascent advertised Non-GMO origins, but unfortunately they don’t. I also am not a huge fan of over-thick shakes, and this product tends to be a bit too thick for my taste. Still, the all natural ingredients they do use make this protein powder and good choice to add to your supplementation regiment…. and if you like a thicker shake, then you will like this product a lot. Buy Ascent Native Fuel Casein Micellar Casein Protein Powder Here.
- Optimum Nutrition – There is nothing wrong with Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural Casein. In fact, I used it regularly for quite some time and enjoyed it when I did. But it is tied for the most ingredients of all the products we have reviewed, and it is not Non-GMO or grass fed.hormone free. But ON is available just about anywhere, and it is a good priced product for having natural ingredients. If you feel more comfortable choosing a well-established name brand than newer, lesser-known ones, then the ON product is a great choice for you. Buy Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural Casein Here.
Try these products out for yourself and then drop us a line telling us what you think! If you have any questions about these products, or would like us to review another kind of natural casein protein powder…. or if you would like to get more information from us about what is the best casein protein powder for building muscle, we welcome you to contact us directly!